The Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) program provides eligible First Nations clients with coverage for a range of health benefits that are not covered through:
- Social programs
- Private insurance plans
- Provincial or territorial health insurance
What the program covers:
- Dental care
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medication
- Mental health counselling
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medical transportation to and from services not available on reserve or in the community of residence
You will need to show client identification in order for providers to bill directly.
- Some health service providers bill the program directly through Express Scripts Canada.
Where a client does pay, the program accepts claims using the client reimbursement process.
Please click here to access reimbursement process:
Vision care and mental health providers can contact the NIHB regional office if they need more information.
Medical transportation is also managed by the regional office.
A First Nations community, self-government, or health authority may be responsible for providing some or all NIHB benefits.
Who is eligible?
An eligible client must be a resident of Canada and any of the following:
- a First Nations person who is registered under the Indian Act (commonly referred to as a status Indian)
a child less than 18 months old whose parent is a registered First Nations person
To make sure that your child continues to be eligible for the program, you should apply for your child’s:
- Indian status (through the First Nations band)
Accessing Mental Health Benefits Through Express Scripts
This website is the gateway to the Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program. Information on Dental, Pharmacy, Medical Supplies and Equipment, Vision Care and Mental Health Counselling benefits is available here.
Step one: Click the website below
Step two: You will click the client button
Step three: Click Create Web Account
Note: You will need your Identification number to create your account. Ask a parent or call your reserves band office.
By creating a secure NIHB client web account, you can:
- View your benefit claims status and history
- Submit client reimbursement requests online
- Receive NIHB Program communication directly by email
NIHB Contact Info
Non-Insured Health Benefits program
Toll Free: 1-800-567-9604
Dental Predetermination Centre (dental services)
Toll Free: 1-855-618-6291
Dental Predetermination Centre (orthodontic services)
Toll Free: 1-866-227-0943
Other Benefits: Saskatchewan Regional Office
Toll free: 1-866-885-3933
Email: email@example.com (client, public inquiries)
Medical transportation and mental health counselling are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when calling the toll free number.
For more contact information please visit: